Tips for note taking in obsidian.¶
- Try to use text as much as possible. Use images only for diagrams. If there is text in you images then you are not taking notes properly.
- Use tags like Kanban boards for showing status like #status/doing
- When you are creating MOCs (Map of Contents) which have links to other MOCs there should be backlinks in the frontmatter. For example if the index MOC A links to index MOC B then index MOC B should have the link to index MOC A in its frontmatter.
- If a bunch of notes point to a note then that note should be a MOC or is a MOC.
- No MOC in misc, daily-notes and rough. I have a rough folder instead of a rough page since I want to preserve all the rough information.
- Meaning of folders
- misc notes is for anything that comes to mind.
- general notes can be anything but structured.
- short notes are short study notes
- Try to enclose images in heading 6 since when headings fold then don't encapsulate the bigger headings. But for not including text after image that you will need some other heading.
Creating a new folder
- If you want to create a new folder inside another folder then instead of just using the new folder icon right click on the folder to create a folder inside it.
- Whatever you add information in the frontmatter at the beginning it won't be displayed. It can be for your own reference or it used by the dataview plugin.
- Create your own frontmatter for every page.
- Links in frontmatter are something which can be used to jump between the related pages.
Always try to avoid headings if you don't have a clear structure in mind and use bold bullets to hide stuff. Only caveat is that they won't appear in outlines.
- Use headings for subsections
Advantages of using obsidian¶
- Obsidian helps you in linking notes rather than organising them.
- You don't have to use mouse a lot. Everything can be done using the keyboard with the right plugins.
- I can use vim mode
Obsidian v1.1 release¶
- We have the concept on tabs and panes.
- CMD + Click to open the link in a different tab.
- CMD + OPT + Click to open the link in a different (side) pane.
Last updated: 2022-11-08